Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

Lydia has been quietly and occasionally requesting I make some vegan muffins. She had some at a marching band function a few months ago and just loved them.


She couldn't tell me what kind they were exactly - just that they were "white and cake-y". She said they were in a book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I haven't picked up a copy of the book yet, and haven't found the white cake recipe anywhere online, but her Post Punk Kitchen website has a vegan pumpkin muffin recipe that sounded good.


You can find the recipe at http://www.theppk.com/2009/11/the-best-pumpkin-muffins/.


I tried making two batches. The first is the basic recipe. It turned out moist and looks pretty good. Sean had a hard time waiting for them to cool before devouring one. Lydia had more restraint, and thought they were a bit heavy but tasted good.



The second batch included chopped fresh cranberries. Unfortunately, I think I added too many. I should have also reduced the amount of soy milk to compensate for the added moisture. They are a bit dense and undercooked in the center. However, the added cranberries make them explode with flavor!



I love the cranberries in these so much I'm going to give it another go Wednesday while I'm waiting for my potato rolls to rise. I'll post a modified recipe when I get them right.



No comments:

Post a Comment