Monday, January 16, 2012

Open Handed Blocks - Lesson Learned

Feels worse than it looks!
Update 2012.01.23 


My wife convinced me to have it checked at the clinic. It's a bit more than a sprain - it's fractured at the knuckle. Other than a longer recovery, there isn't really anything I can do about it.


Managed to sprain my middle finger with a poorly executed open handed block at Friday night's lower Kyū belt grading. It hurt as much as rolling my toe on the old dojo's mats. I could tell my partner didn't much care for me trying to drive my finger through his arm either but we both shook it off and continued. Lesson learned. 


First time I've jammed my finger. It really should not be surprising how hard it is not to use your fingers. Especially when they are on your dominant hand. Fortunately, it's not broken, but try typing and using a computer mouse. 

Computer mouse and Ice rig
I've been applying ice, taking Advil, and using KT tape at night. It helps. I'll buddy-tape it for tonight's karate class.


Once it heals, I'll have to work on those blocks. Obviously I'm not practicing them enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment