Thursday, February 9, 2012

iOS App Development with PhoneGap and Spine Mobile: Coffee Shop App

After looking at several mobile application frameworks I’ve finally decided to use Spine Mobile and PhoneGap to build an application.


Most first applications should be tossed out. I'm learning new stuff and whatever I create in this first application is guaranteed to have, at best, a whiff of code smell (if not reek of it). I don’t want to be saddled with an application that will most likely be mangled by the time I’m done. It’s a proof of concept prototype, or at least it should be. This also takes away the pressure to make it perfect.


I need something more than a sample application, but nothing too complex. It should be something I can start small and build on while still being somewhat useful. I’d like it to perform at least the following functions:
  • CRUD operations
  • Navigation between modules
  • Local data storage
  • Auto-magic data updates from the "cloud"
  • Some form of membership or identity
I think a simple coffee shop application should fit the bill. It can start out small, a simple menu for users to browse what’s available. Then I’ll add features as I go.


Version 0.1

  • A home page with a logo
  • A menu of available beverages
  • Location and hours of operation information

Version 0.2

  • A list of “my favorite” beverages
  • Loyalty punch card
  • Build a beverage (size, to go, flavors, etc.) 

Version 0.3

  • Order a beverage and update my loyalty card

Version 0.4

  • Coupons and/or promotions
  • Management of coupons and/or promotions
and so on...


No comments:

Post a Comment