Monday, July 23, 2012

Hai! I Haz Ukulele

Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Yes! I know this is NOT the proper grip
Yes, I haz a ukulele. I've never, at any time in my life, and I suspect in any prior lives, ever attempted to play a musical instrument of any form.

So why on earth did I buy one? Well, I have several reasons.

It's on my bucket list
I don't really have a bucket list, but if I did, I imagine playing a musical instrument would be on it.

It's far less annoying than the accordion
I believe there is a special place in hell for squeezeboxes and those who play them. I'm also not of French decent. I'm mostly English, Scottish, and German. Yes, I think bagpipes are cool, and no they're nothing like accordions. Not even close.

It was inexpensive
I could have purchased on as cheap as $20 but it would have been little more than a toy. From what I've read they are really difficult to fret properly and sound like a toy. I'd love to drop a couple of hundred on a good one, but thought it would be prudent to go with a $40 Kala Makala MK-SD/GN Dolphin Bridge Soprano Ukulele. I can always blow money on a better one someday.

I can carry it around easily
The thing is only 21 inches long. Can't carry it around in my back pocket like a harmonica, but then I don't really want to play the harmonica.

My kids play instruments
Lydia plays the flute and Sean is into his first year of trombone. They get free instruction from school, have youthful reflexes, and plastic brains. Sean gets free private lessons from a dear friend of ours who has been playing for a gazillion years. I'm immensely jealous. I have no idea why I didn't want to do this when I was a kid. My sister played clarinette in school for a short time but the thought never crossed my mind. Been kicking myself since they started.

John Scalzi pays one
Not really a reason other than to say he has no shame and neither do I. :-)


It's supposed to be easy to learn
Not sure if this is true or not. At least for me. There are plenty of beginner lessons on YouTube and a couple of web sites with tutorials. Meh, we'll see.
I can learn to play the intro to Stairway To Heaven on it
As anyone from my generation (and most likely everyone since) knows, it is the obligatory main riff you must learn when playing a stringed instrument. How can you resist it?

No comments:

Post a Comment