Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Things From My Desk: Star Trek Phaser


Star Trek is, without a doubt, my all-time favorite science fiction television program. Especially, the original series.

When they started promoting the latest movie, you could get a free Star Trek uniform shirt from Kellogg for a certain number of box tops. I cannot remember exactly how many, but I purchased enough Corn Flakes to start a survival shelter. Enough to get four shirts for my family.

Sean wasn't interested, but I got him a gold command shirt anyway. I've always wanted to be an engineer, so mine is read. I think Stacey and Lydia wanted medical and science (blue).

Today at work we had a Halloween dress up day. I was out of the office at a Microsoft sponsored event this morning so the kilt was out. Instead, I just dressed in a t-shirt and black jeans and tossed my Star Trek shirt and cheap costume phaser into my bag. A simple shirt change back a the office was all that was necessary.

Someday I'll spend the money on some TOS props. A hand phaser, tricorder, and communicator. I also think I'll make a Wrath of Khan style uniform jacket to go along with my kilt. Scotty didn't wear one in the movie, but a fan must have put one together judging from the image below. He did wear one in an episode of the original series. Not the same tartan as below but I think the MacQueen colors complement the uniform jacket.

Best of both worlds :-)

+ =

No comments:

Post a Comment